MathJax

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

In everything I seek to grasp… - Poem by Boris Pasternak.

One of my best loved poems. I read this poem in Russian, I think the translation is OK, but may be not really.

I am really perplexed by two opposites of the poem on one hand it fells simple, poem flows very naturally and generates vivid images yet the every day words are used intricately and originally conveying those images concisely and precisely:

“…О, если бы я только мог Хотя отчасти, Я написал бы восемь строк О свойствах страсти. О беззаконьях, о грехах, Бегах, погонях, Нечаянностях впопыхах, Локтях, ладонях…”

[ Oh, if my skill did but suffice After a fashion, In eight lines I'd anatomize The parts of passion. I'd write of sins, forbidden fruit, Of chance-seized shadows; Of hasty flight and hot pursuit, Of palms, of elbows.]

***

pasternak

***


In everything I seek to grasp
The fundamental:
The daily choice, the daily task,
The sentimental.

To plumb the essence of the past,
The first foundations,
The crux, the roots, the inmost hearts,
The explanations.

And, puzzling out the weave of fate,
Events observer,
To live, feel, love and meditate
And to discover.

Oh, if my skill did but suffice
After a fashion,
In eight lines I'd anatomize
The parts of passion.

I'd write of sins, forbidden fruit,
Of chance-seized shadows;
Of hasty flight and hot pursuit,
Of palms, of elbows.

Define its laws and origin
In terms judicial,
Repeat the names it glories in,
And the initials.

I'd sinews strain my verse to shape
Like a trim garden:
The limes should blossom down the nape,
A double cordon.

My verse should breathe the fresh-clipped hedge,
Roses and meadows
And mint and new-mown hay and sedge,
The thunder's bellows.

As Chopin once in his etudes
Miraculously conjured
Parks, groves, graves and solitudes-
A living wonder.

The moment of achievement caught
Twixt sport and torment…
A singing bowstring shuddering taut,
A stubborn bow bent.
Во всем мне
хочется дойти До самой сути.
В работе,в поисках пути,
В сердечной смуте.

До сущности протекших дней,
До их причины,
До оснований, до корней,
До сердцевины.

Всё время схватывая нить
Судеб, событий,
Жить, думать, чувствовать, любить,
Свершать открытья.

О, если бы я только мог
Хотя отчасти,
Я написал бы восемь строк
О свойствах страсти.

О беззаконьях,о грехах,
Бегах, погонях,
Нечаянностях впопыхах,
Локтях,ладонях.

Я вывел бы ее закон,
Ее начало,
И повторял ее имен
Инициалы.

Я б разбивал стихи, как сад.
Всей дрожью жилок
Цвели бы липы в них подряд,
Гуськом, в затылок.

В стихи б я внес дыханье роз,
Дыханье мяты,
Луга, осоку, сенокос,
Грозы раскаты.

Так некогда Шопен вложил
Живое чудо
Фольварков, парков, рощ, могил
В свои этюды.

Достигнутого торжества
Игра и мука -
Натянутая тетива
Тугого лука.
1956

No comments: